Sunday, July 10, 2011

My Roommate Wants to get a Dog?

So, my roommate and I are 2 single guys living in an apartment in the city. My roommate wants to get a dog and I am not sure this is a good idea. My roommate is flat broke all the time; he’s even borrowing rent money from me every month until the middle of the month. I had a serious talk with him about finding more income so he can start paying his share of the rent ON TIME. Now he wants “us” to get a 10-month-old puppy. Personally, I love pets a lot, but I am a very busy young man (working full time and part-time grad student) at this point in my life and I can’t afford the time, responsibility and costs that come with taking care of a dog. A dog would have to be my roommate’s sole responsibility, and I just don’t see that happening since he can hardly pull his own weight even now. How is he going to pay for its food or its vet bills? How will he pay me or the apartment back if the dog tears up my furniture or the apartment carpeting? I predict he's going to be borrowing money from me to pay for these expenses and asking me to help out with the dog when I'm pressed for time already as it is. I hate to have to sound like a bad person and tell him we can’t have a dog. I’m not an animal-hater, in fact, I’d like a dog if I had more time on my hands to take care of one, but I work every day and go to school/meetings at night. I don’t know, am I wrong? Am I a bad person if I flat out tell my roommate that he cannot have a dog?

No comments:

Post a Comment