Thursday, July 14, 2011

Can my landlord legally raise rent after a flood?

I was wondering if my landlord can raise my rent after we had a major flood (Minot, ND). I'm still paying for rent in a place that I'm not living in -which I'm okay with, because housing in Minot is hard to find. Right now the economy in North Dakota is booming. We have a big oil boom going on and people cannot find housing so they are charging outrageous prices for places to rent (ex: 1bd apt for $2,500). Right now we pay $850 and we live in the 'bad' part of the neighborhood/city (which really isn't bad). Is there a law against price gouging for rent after a flood, because so many people are already looking for housing (due to the oil boom) and now there will be more since their homes flooded.

No comments:

Post a Comment